4 DAYS / 3 NIGHTS
Experience one of Peru’s most pristine landscapes and hike around Cuscos’ most sacred and highest mountain snow peaks in the heartland of the Q’eros people and you will be provided with amazing views of the Andean highlands situated in the Cordillera Vilcanota in the department of Cusco. You will need a good dose of adrenaline as you hike up four passes above 4500 meters (15,000 feet). We walk amongst herds of llamas and alpacas in remote native Quechua villages and along the way horses will accompany you to help if needed due to high altitude and climatic conditions. We provide you with top quality camping equipment, and a well-balanced and energetic diet with vegetarian options. If you want something different and challenging, the Ausangate Expedition is awaiting you!!!
DAY 1: CUSCO-OCONGATE-TINKI-UPIS
You will receive private transportation from Cusco. The road goes toward Puno, past the Wari site of Pikillacta ruins and the colonial towns of Andahuaylillas and Huaro (we may spend some time visiting them). Afterwards a road starts winding its way up hill until we reach small villages with shepherds and weavers in the highland puna. In the afternoon the Vilcanota Range will loom in the distance with Ausangate and ColqeCruz mountains dominating the landscape.
The trail starts crossing the puna or highland meadow approaching the base of the impressive Ausangate with amazing views of the rolling landscape. Continuing the hike, the trail takes you up through the Andean villages still traditional in many of their customs and habits. This night we will camp at Upis with a chance to enjoy the thermal baths.
DAY 2: UPIS-PUCACOCHA-LAGUNA AUSANGATE
Ascending the slopes we cross over the pass at 4,500 mts. (14,760ft) and make our way to Lake Pucacocha for lunch with the western ice-fall of Ausangate Mountain dominating the view of this campsite. After lunch we head up to Apacheta pass 4700mts, and afterwards make our way down to Ausangate Lake. From tonight’s camp you can appreciate just why Ausangate has, for centuries, commanded so much reverence for the local people.
DAY 3: PUCACOCHA-PALOMANI-FINAYA (SORAYCUCHO)
We cross the highest pass on our trip at Palomani (4,900mts) (16,076ft), with a spectacular view of the southeastern ridge of Mount Ausangate. We camp at Soraycucho.
DAY 4: SORAYCUCHO-PACCHANTA-CUSCO
We circle northwest over Ticllacocha Lagoon and over the last Pass called Campa (4,650m) (12,250ft) reaching the small meadow of Pacchaspata, along the shores of lake Q’omercocha, the camp for lunch. Today the route is filled with natural beauty; like: deep valleys, alpacas, llamas, and vicuñas being kept in their original natural environment, and if lucky the rare Andean condor will be seen. The trail descends towards the village of Pacchanta where for enthusiasts, thermal baths are available. After lunch we return home to Cusco.
*A minimum of 2 people is needed for this trek
- Pre departure briefing
- Early morning transfer by private transport to trailhead
- Meals: 3 breakfasts / 3 lunches / 3 dinners /3 afternoon hot drinks
- Drinking water since the day 2
- Two-man Tents: (for a personal tent request, there is a surcharge of $30)
- Inflatable sleeping mat
- Dining tent, cooking tent, cutlery, folding tables, and stools
- Mules, carrying heavy gear such as: food, tents, gas bottle, and cooking stuff
- And 7kilograms/15 pounds of your belongings
- A Chef.
- English speaking professional tour guide. (for groups larger than 9 persons, two tour guides)
- First day breakfast
- Last day lunch
- First day drinking water
- Sleeping bag
- Tipping your trekking staff is customary.
What do I need to bring?
- A rucksack with your personal belongings for the whole period of the trek which is to be carried by you including sleeping bag and mattress, when you do not hire a personal porter
- A big rucksack to be provided to a personal porter, and a small rucksack to be carried by you with the essentials for the day (this is when you hire a personal porter)
- Rain gear (annorax and rain trousers if available) and rain poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Strong and waterproof trekking boots recommended
- Sandals or flip-flops for a higher comfort while at camp
- Warm clothes (thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping)
- Sleeping bag (please inform our Reservations Department if you wish to book this extra service at the moment of your booking)
- Foamy mattress: will be provided by us but is to be carried by you
- Head torch and batteries
- Camera, batteries and memory card (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Wide brim hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Sun block
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body
- Insect repellent – minimum recommended 80% DEET – no malaria risk has been reported v-
- Toilet paper
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc. Please note that we do provide a daily morning snack and our meal service is very complete and well supplied. This recommendation applies for all clients being used to a specific snack, as it may happen that it is not included in our selection v
- A canteen or camel back, plastic water bottles are no longer allowed into the Inca Trail. v
- Optionally: water- sterilizing tablets in case you take river or stream water along the route.
- Swimsuit (for showering or bathing chances)
- Cash in soles and/or US$ (small change)
- Original passport
- Original International Student Identity Card ISIC (in case you have applied for a student discount)
- Original passport, original ISIC student card (In case you are student) and extra money (Soles and dollars cash.
2016 prices per person $ 645.00 USD.
Please contact us, specifying:
-Number of people in the trek
-Train service upon request: Expedition train, Vistadome train, Hiram Bingham (Luxury Orient Express)
– Students: US$ 20.00 (students require a valid International Student Identity Card.
Please note that Youth Travel Cards are not valid)
– Teenagers: US$ 20.00 (up to 15 years of age, passport copy required for all bookings)
– Children: US$ 40.00 (up to 7 years of age, passport copy required for all bookings)
– Early bookings: 5% on full program price for all bookings confirmed at least 6 months in advance. This discount may not be applicable in case a promotional price is offered
Featured Perú Tours
Private and completely personalized, your one-of-a-kind itinerary takes into account all the practicalities as well as the fun stuff
COPYRIGHT © 2019 NATIONAL PERU TRAVEL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.