Huchuy Qosqo Trek To Machu Picchu
2 DAYS / 1 NIGHTS
This trek is ideal for those who really want to go far deeper into the mountains. Huchuy Qosqo (small Cusco) is situated above the Valley of Urubamba and offers spectacular views over the mountain range Cordillera de Vilcanota. Excellent for those who don’t have much time but still want to visit Machu Picchu and places not seen by so many tourists.
1ST DAY: CUSCO – TAUCA – HUCHUY QOSQO PASS – HUCHUY QOSQO – LAMAY – OLLANTAYTAMBO – AGUAS CALIENTES (TREKKING AND TRAIN)
We will drive off to the small Village of Tauca (3750m), the starting point of our trek where we will go on level terrain, and the landscape is that of a typical Andean valley with corn, potatoes, barley, quinoa fields and other Andean root vegetables. As you ascend towards the pass at 4050m, the scenery changes dramatically to high Andean Puna, with very little vegetation, just mostly “ichu” or high altitude grass. The views of the Cordillera Vilcabamba peaks are spectacular: Veronica, Pitusiray, Chicon and San Juan snow peaks. Soon after the pass you will start the descent towards the Huchuy Qosqo plains going along a trail that leads to the Ccauca ravine, where you will see archaeological ruins and wild crops, such as tarwi, and cacti. You will go downhill towards the Leon Punku ravine, where you will see remains of an Incan bridge and trail. This canyon is worth seeing for the geological formations surrounded by majestic rocks and boulders that direct the river to Huchuy Qosqo at 3650 m. Huchuy Qosqo (“Little Cuzco”) is a noteworthy Incan complex. It has extremely fine stonework in a large Kallanka (rectangular structure), some residential and defensive quarters and interesting two-story stone and adobe buildings. Huchuy Qosqo is located on a plateau, surrounded by Incan agricultural terracing and commanding superb views of the Vilcabamba range. Afterwards we will go downhill to Lamay at 2900m where we will aboard our transport to Ollantaytambo. From Ollantaytambo we continue our journey by train to Aguas Calientes and spend the night in a hotel.
2ND DAY: MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Early start to Machu Picchu, means enetering for the best photo opportunities. Following the guided tour, take the time to explore and wander around Machu Picchu by yourself. Make your way back down to Machupicchu Town (Aguas Calientes) for a well-deserved rest and lunch. Finally, get the train to Ollantaytambo and bus back to Cusco.
- Private transportation, to and from your hotel.
- All meals marked as B, L, and D.
- Professional Spanish and English speaking tour guide
- Entrance fee to Huchuy Qosqo.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
- Bus tickets from Machupicchu town- Machupicchu site-Machupicchu town
- First-aid kit and oxygen bottle.
- Any meals not specified after each itinerary day.
- Optional tips to staff.
- Expenses such as medical immunizations (if any) and travel insurance.
What do I need to bring?
- 30 or 40 litter backpack with rain shelter
- Clothing for warm and cold, and rain jacket.
- Trekking boots
- Flip flops or sandals (for showers and hot springs).
- Wool socks and beanie hat
- Long- and short-sleeved T-Shirts.
- Bathing suit (for hot springs in Machupicchu Town).
- Sunscreen, insect repellent
- Camera (wrapped in plastic bag), flash light and batteries.
- Snacks i.e. chocolate bars, dry fruit, etc.
- Original passport, original ISIC student card (In case you are student) and extra money in soles.
- Original passport, original ISIC student card (In case you are student) and extra money (Soles and dollars cash.
2016 prices per person $ 435.00 USD.
Please contact us, specifying:
-Number of people in the trek
-Train service upon request: Expedition train, Vistadome train, Hiram Bingham (Luxury Orient Express)
– Students: US$ 20.00 (students require a valid International Student Identity Card.
Please note that Youth Travel Cards are not valid)
– Teenagers: US$ 20.00 (up to 15 years of age, passport copy required for all bookings)
– Children: US$ 40.00 (up to 7 years of age, passport copy required for all bookings)
– Early bookings: 5% on full program price for all bookings confirmed at least 6 months in advance. This discount may not be applicable in case a promotional price is offered
-Visit to HuaynaPicchu: For Huayna Picchu mountain requires to be booked long time in advance however we charge additional $ 25.00 USD and then we’ll guarantee your entrance for HuaynaPicchu as well (This new State law began since the 18th of July, 2011).
-Tips for porters, cooks and guides are always welcome. The porters are also very grateful for a small donation, for example clothes or school equipment for their children.
Featured Perú Tours
Private and completely personalized, your one-of-a-kind itinerary takes into account all the practicalities as well as the fun stuff
COPYRIGHT © 2019 NATIONAL PERU TRAVEL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.